Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

It's kind of a funny story...

So I hear it most everyday--what is the big deal with FACEBOOK? I don't get it. What can you possibly be doing with all that information.

Well I know, or at least I think I know what the origin of FACEBOOK was, but now it has developed into the most amazing communication tool since the telephone. Stop and think about it...if you have a large group of friends, how long does it take you to call each of them to share a bit of news? Well we can just plan a party or get together you might suggest. Yeah, but how many times have you even planned anything where everyone you care about could attend?

What about all the negative stuff on the feeds? What about all the drama? What about those people who are just creepers and never say anything?

All of these are great questions...but I just want you to think about this. How much time do you have to share information? How many times do you retell a story before you get a little crosseyed? How many of those great little kids do the darndest things pictures would you have to print for everyone who wants one?

I can log into my wall anytime I have a minute. I can check the feeds with my phone. I can funnel lots of my emails, conversations and scheduling through the chat, message and event calendars. I can start a conversation that pertains to a large group of people and share with them all at the same time. I can create a group that keeps everyone informed, and I am only sharing the information once. It also gives everyone I am communicating with to share their thoughts too. No one is left out...unless they want to be.

I can read about upcoming events, check out your thoughts on a movie or listen to your newest favorite song when you post about all of the above.

I can share positive lessons and helpful hints everytime they occur to me as well as gain from your experience and information.

I can get something off my chest, and it will wait for you until you are ready to read it.

The most amazing thing to me is that I can share about my nonprofit, or one of the many that I support and everyone who has a heart for it or the call to action can respond. I love the efficeincy. Is it a perfect way to get things done? Not yet. Until people start understanding that it is a communication tool and not an emotional dumpground, we will all have to put up with a little drama. Until some get that it is an advantage to tell everyone the same thing--like so many other medias have fought to do for centuries, a the same time...it may always be some thing some don't understand. Think about the trees killed so Dear Abby, could give you advice and Kroger could share with you their low prices. Think about the NOT so real stories of television, or other media. Think about any way that the masses of people in one demographic has received their information...then tell me that this internet thing and facebook are not the best thing ever!

Everyday I see another way it can help me and one or more of the causes I work for. Everyday I learn something in an easy, when I am ready to get it way. Each day I find a way to share with someone who is having a hard time, celebrate a birthday that I would not have known or remembered without FB.

The most amazing part is those who come up and talk to me in real life, that I never hear from online. They say "I never post, I just like to read...but what you shared meant so much to me" or "I can't believe how much you do for the community" or " that was an amazing song you shared" and on and on it goes. It's not that I wouldn't have shared those things with them in person, if I had had the opporunity...but lets face it, FACEBOOK is bringing people together--24/7/365, on their time, in their comfort zone and for as much as they are willing to be a part of. It is taking down barriers of space, time and other obstacles and giving us a view that some could not ever see because they were too shy, or unsure of what to say or ask. It is allowing us to network with the people we find the most in common with. For our charities, businesses, sports teams or other groups. It is giving us the chance to learn more about people in our friends list, than ever before. It is giving us a way see past the face that we put on to deal with our lives, and show up when we want to or when we can. I am not sure how the internet will evolve yet, but ever once and awhile, I remember the first time I logged into facebook...andswered the question--what's on your mind? And I posted some silly little thing...and then right after that with zero people on my friends list, I asked "is that all there is to facebook?"

Well of course the answer was no, I had to add all of my friends, family and the world to my feed before I could see all that it was. The most amazing thing is that it is forever changing and evolving and most of the time it comes back to the time when I said...it's kind of a funny story, and everyone could read about it at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment